Sunday, July 30, 2006

Welcome!

Lisa Simpson: “Cheer up, Dad. Did you know the Chinese use the same word for 'crisis' as they do for 'opportunity'?”
Homer Simpson: “Yes! Crisotunity!”


Welcome to the rebirth of ‘Crisotunity”! Lovely it is, to once again bombard the unsuspecting with tirades cobbled together from the occasional coherent thoughts that result from my misfiring synapses. Some of you will remember this column from my failed attempt at co-creating a new Melbourne street press; for some of you those memories will take the form of money-shaped voids in your pockets. Yes, the old print-form ‘Crisotunity’, while fun to write, involved me (and my supporters) getting financially fleeced - actually, I can think of a less wholesome, but similarly alliterate and possibly more accurate verb to replace 'fleeced'. However, thanks to the wondrous series of tubes known as the Internet, you can now be exposed to my dribble without the previous expense, pain, or nights spent weeping in the foetal position (this holds for me, at least).

‘Crisotunity’ (sometimes spelled ‘crisitunity’) is an outlook that can be applied to everyday life. ‘The Simpsons’, as quoted above, simply supplied a new, nerd-friendly name for an old concept - taking whatever is dished out by life and using it as a opportunity to propel yourself forward: to evolve, seize control, and create your own destiny. It is an idea evident in the work of many great thinkers. Schopenhauer (2004), for example, wrote that the afflictions we encounter during life serve a fundamentally positive purpose; “One can even say that we require at all times a certain quantity of care or sorrow or want, as a ship requires ballast, in order to keep on a straight course” (pg 43). Similarly, the concept of crisotunity holds some semantic correlation with Nietzsche’s ‘Will to Power’, and is also representative of the sickeningly sweet adage: ‘If life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!’ (I prefer Henry Rollins’ version: “If life gives you a lemon, say: (growls) Oh yeah, I like lemons; what else ya got?!”) My previous experience with ‘Crisotunity’, and its parent publication, was itself an example of crisotunity in action: The ‘crisis’ surrounding the situation created ‘opportunities’ that forcibly lead me to where I am today (That where I am today is sitting at my computer writing ‘Crisotunity’ is an incongruity not lost on me, smarty-pants).

But enough of crisotunity; back to ‘Crisotunity’. On this page you will find occasional rants (better this than me sitting home alone, yelling at the television), and bits and pieces of poetry and other writing. If history is anything to go by, most entries will be poorly edited at best, and should not be assumed to definitive versions. Take the second sentence of the first paragraph, for example: if shameless, awkwardly extravagant expression (and self-depreciating one-liners) are your kind of thing, then baby we gots ya covered.

So please read. Please return. Please leave comments. But remember that my ego is like a delicate snowflake – don’t stomp too hard.

*Schopenhauer, A (2004) Essays and Aphorisims Penguin, London.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am actually in awe and don't know how to comment

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

right on ale, uh i mean mister whateverya call it.
at least i think i know what your talking about. i don't have my dictionary with me. good shit that you've become an english teacher.
still, reminds me of the beastie boys a little bit:
"If Others Disrespect Me Or Give Me Flack
I'll Stop And Think Before I React
Knowing That They're Going Through Insecure Stages
......
To Thank Our Enemies Despite Their Intent"
stay positive man. very good.
i'm not quite sure how this blogging business works. am i addressing mister anonymous here, or everybody?

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At last the tyranny of China has lifted from my shoulders and the beauty that is your blog allowed to filter into my reality.

Crisotunity .. I thought it was some play on unity and Christ! Agree with the sentiment though, the more scars, the more you've lived and the better you understand.

2:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pleased to see you again have an outlet to express your very intriguing and wistful ideas.
I too need to dust off the dictionary, but will continue to read in awe.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that THE Schopenhauer, or the other one... or yet another? Must dust off my copy of Life Is Beautiful... Yes - lovely to see your intellectual acrobatics in full flight...we must catch up for dinner.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BAP here. I too have a blog! However, I created it to communicate with someone else in blogworld, then realised i didn't need to. Now I have a blog that i don't actually know how to get into to write on. Yay for me!

check out the first rivetting test post for more stunning insights into my creativity:

http://eatrocks.blogspot.com/

Crisis (may I call you crisis?) i may seek out your technically minded aid on that one. Or i may not. As you said "billions unaffected."

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home